Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888-733-2992
Phone: 605-361-9840

Experts That Can Help You Get the Result You Want in Your Divorce

Jeff Cole
Connect with me
Partner at Zimmer, Duncan & Cole

Unfortunately, not all divorces are amicable, and couples do not always want to be fair when splitting up. If you are in this situation, you may have to fight hard to obtain your fair share of the property and to ensure that you have a good custody arrangement in place that is in the best interests of your children. You may need to hire experts who can help you reach your goals in your divorce settlement or at trial.

Experts That Could Assist in Your Divorce

While hiring an expert may seem costly, doing so may ultimately help you settle your case, protect your interests, and make finalizing your divorce less painful. If your case does not settle, an expert can help ensure you receive a fair property settlement and convince the judge that your plan for custody and visitation with your children is best for them. The disputes in your divorce will determine what types of experts you could need. Some that you may find helpful include:

  • Real estate appraiser. A real estate appraiser can be helpful to value any real estate your spouse and you own.
  • Personal property appraiser. If you have valuable personal property, such as jewelry, antiques, or collectibles, a personal property appraiser may be needed to value the property so it is split equally.
  • Business valuation expert. If your spouse or you own a business, a CPA or other financial expert can accurately value the business, trace your contributions to it, and determine if your spouse is hiding business assets or devaluing the business.
  • Forensic accountant. In contested divorces, spouses sometime hide assets from each other. If you suspect your spouse of doing this, a forensic accountant or private investigator can help you locate these hidden assets.
  • Financial planners. If you are requesting alimony from your spouse, a financial advisor could be necessary to determine the amount you should receive and for how long you are entitled to it. You may also need to know the tax implications of your settlement.
  • Mental health expert. If there are disputes about child custody or parenting time, a qualified mental health professional—such as a psychologist or licensed social worker—can interview your children and your spouse to make a recommendation as to what is in the best interests of your children.

An experienced divorce attorney can advise you on what experts you may need to hire and should have a network of qualified experts he uses in cases like yours. If you are considering filing for divorce, start an online chat to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our family law attorneys.


  • Observer
  • The Lennox Independent
  • Tea Weekly
  • AlcesterUnion & Hudsonite
  • The New Era
  • SuperLawyers