How to Locate a Hit and Run Driver So You Obtain the Compensation You Deserve After Your Auto Crash
When a driver flees the scene after causing injuries in a hit and run accident, you have the added worries of having no idea who this person is. It is essential that you know the identity of the driver if you want to receive the compensation you could be entitled to. However, just because this negligent driver left the accident scene does not mean that you have no hope of holding him accountable for his actions.
Options for Locating a Hit and Run Driver After Your Motor Vehicle Accident
If the driver who hits you flees the scene, you should contact the police and obtain a copy of the police report. Even if you never find the hit and run driver, you will need the police report to file a claim with your own insurance company for your vehicle repairs if you have collision insurance and for your injuries if you purchased uninsured motorist coverage.
You will also need this report if you do locate the negligent driver and you can file a claim with his insurance company. You should not assume that this is not possible. Ways that the hit and run driver may be located include:
- Police. If you were injured in the crash, the police are more likely to investigate your accident as a crime and attempt to locate the driver for you, especially if someone has identifying information about the driver or his vehicle.
- Witnesses. A witness who was outraged that the driver fled the scene may have obtained the make and model of the vehicle, the license plate number or part of it, or other helpful information that can enable the police or your attorney to locate the driver.
- Businesses. If your accident occurred near any businesses, you want to check to see if they had video surveillance that may have recorded the accident and the driver. You need to do this quickly before the recording is taped over.
- Door-to-door investigation. You want to go door-to-door to any homes or businesses in the area of your crash. You may locate a witness who saw something helpful but did not come out when your accident happened.
- Department of Motor Vehicles. If you obtain the vehicle's license number, you may be able to obtain the name and address of the driver who hit you through the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Experienced car accident attorney. Hiring an experienced car accident attorney is a smart move even in a hit and run accident. He may have other suggestions for locating the hit and run driver and can assist you in pursuing all available sources of compensation for your injuries.
Were you or a family member injured in a hit and run accident? Our experienced attorneys are here to answer your questions, help you locate the negligent driver, and negotiate your settlements with all possible parties. Start an online chat today to schedule your free consultation.